Monday, October 4, 2010

A dirndl for Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany

Brandi, Brooke and Betsy

Beer and pretzels come super-sized at Oktoberfest.
It started as a joke to wear dirndls to Oktoberfest.  But when you have a mom who is a talented seamstress, the dress becomes a reality.  Brandi (my oldest sister) and I shopped for a pattern and fabric.  And I put on my own embellishments... the buttons and chain.  My sisters and I enjoyed wearing our dirdls (Brooke's was purchased).  One local thought we were local because he thought our dirndls looked like the real thing and not something store bought.


This is a gingerbread cookie booth.

Lots of rides and booths.

Yes, look closely at the OX on a spit.

Look at all the tables inside just one tent, waiting to fill people with food and libations.

More rides.

This shows the exterior of just one of the sponsor tents.
For those who have never been to Oktoberfest, it is a lot like the Orange County Fair (or any county fair) on steroids.  Huge tents with wooden facades are set up for the main beer, wine and food sponsors.  Inside the alcohol tents they sell food and 1 liter portions of beer.  They also sell beer that is watered down with sprite.  In one tent we saw an ox roasting on a spit.  The ox sandwich (similar to the flavor and texture of pot roast) was my favorite.  Besides the big food and drink tents, there are other stands selling food, souveneirs (mugs, keychains, magnets, t-shirts), sweets and gingerbread cookies decorated with messages.  Some say 'i love you' or 'you are my sweetie.'  And there were lots of carnival rides.


Brooke and I on the antique ride.  Note that the bar does NOT pull down.
This year was the 200th anniversary so they had a separate section set up to show things from past Oktoberfests.  We rode on a ride that was built in 1939.  The ride operator actually used a hand crank to help power up the ride.  It went much faster than we expected.  So fast that I was a little concerned about  my safety.  It was a great time.

Alison and I with some crazy guys in a giant leiderhosen.

Posing by one of the horses that pulled the Paulaner beer float.

No comments:

Post a Comment